Panther Island Adventures!

Panther Island is 2,800 acres of restored wetland and upland habitats situated in the northwest corner of Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary's 13,000 acres. It is home to numerous plants and animals including the Florida panther and the iconic wood stork.
The views expressed in user comments do not reflect the views of Audubon. Audubon does not participate in political campaigns, nor do we support or oppose candidates.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Bird of the Week for October 26: Eastern Meadowlark


The melodious call of the Eastern Meadowlark is one of my favorite sounds at Panther Island. Even the most tiring day can be brightened by these pretty birds. These birds are found in open grassy habitats (such as fields, prairies, and meadows) and eats  insects and seeds. The females build the nests by themselves on the ground by weaving grasses into the surrounding vegetation. Now I typically hears these guys before I see them, but once I hear them, I can zone in on where they are. And often I see one perched on top a tree in an open field or even precariously swaying on the top of a grass mound!

No comments:

Post a Comment